Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ten for Tuesday--on Wednesday

10 Favorite Places to Vacation (or Visit)

I wish I could say that I took all of these pictures. Unfortunately, the pictures I took of these places are stored somewhere in the depths of my garage, so I found others that depict places we have been that I enjoyed and wouldn't mind visiting again. I also found pictures of other places we have visited that I enjoyed, but as the list was to include only ten places, I will have to save these for another day.

I have placed my favorites in reverse order, with my very favorite ones at the end of my posting.

10. Tikal National Park in Guatemala
I'm sorry this picture turned out so small. There are five pyramids like the one in the photo, and some of them are in the jungle rather than in a clearing like this one is. Wayne and I hiked to the top of Pyramid 5, which, I think, is supposed to be the highest. We had to take a jungle path to get to the bottom of it before we climbed it.

9. The Blue Mosque in Istanbul, Turkey
Beautiful, isn't it?

8. Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany

This positively beautiful castle was Walt Disney's inspiration for one his theme park's castle. Unfortunately, his setting is not as breathtaking as the real thing.

7. Petra, in Jordon

It is necessary to hike through a water carved canyon to get to this site. The canyon opens up to a wider canyon where there are many ancient buildings carved into the sheer, high walls. This particular one, the Treasure, was featured in the movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark--the Last Crusade.


6. St. Basil's Cathedral--Moscow, Russia

This cathedral, situated in Red Square, really is painted in these bright colors.

5. Hawaii

Wayne took me to Hawaii for our 40th anniversary. We were fortunate to get to visit the temple in Laie.

4. Nauvoo--the City Beautiful

One of my very favorite places to visit in Nauvoo. We have been there several times, and I hope to return again and again.

3. Israel
Who cannot love Israel? There are so many sites that bring the scriptures to life and bring the spirit of Biblical times into your heart. This is another country I would visit over and over.
A most sacred site is the Garden Tomb in Jerusalem, where many people (LDS prophets included) believe Christ's body was laid and from where he rose from the dead.

2. Lake Powell
Our family went to Lake Powell every summer from 1984 to 2004 (well, one summer we missed it due to Donovan's sporting schedule). Some of our fondest memories are of vacations there, and I am not sure that our children will ever forgive us for selling out houseboat share. Were I to offer to take them there tomorrow, they would all drop everything they are doing and immediately join us. Hopefully, we can return again to share more times together.

1. Lott Home--Newberry, Florida

Donovan and Janae are the only family we have that presently don't live in Utah. It is always a pleasure to visit them in their home, near Gainsville, and spend time with their family.

4 comments:

Jan Hawkes said...

I love your list, the commentary and the photos. I am so jealous -- we were in Guatemala and didn't get to Tikal and in Germany and didn't get to Neuschwanstein. It's nice to be able to enjoy them vicariously through your blog.

Karen said...

What about my house?

Anne and Wayne said...

Karen, I never go to your house for a multi-day vacation, so I didn't put you on my list. You should know, though, that every time I visit you, it is great.

Karen said...

Oh, I know, Mom. I was just kidding! Love you! Love you too, Dad!